With success being my Ultimate Goal, I have to first define what success means in my mind. So to be a success, this person must become a person who is continuing to grow emotionally, spiritually, in their relationships with family, friends and strangers. Be a contributor to everybody and everything that enters their realm. Totally successful financially by gaining ultimate financial freedom. Totally successful in business and career. Living a lifestyle admired by many. Success is somebody who is also totally in tune with their personal fitness, health and well-being. Someone who has profound knowledge, continuously learning and somebody who never settles for anything less than they deserve. Committing themselves 100% towards every outcome they desire. Constantly achieving and improving in EVERY area of their life. Taking all actions necessary to achieve all of the above and enjoying the process.

My page is a tool to help me achieve my Ultimate Goal. Every day I will answer the same 5 Questions. Every week I will write a journal entry summarising my life during the week. I will also periodically give you, the reader, an insight into certain areas of my life. So please, enjoy my posts, feel free to replicate the process. My journey starts now with these 5 Questions...

1. What did I learn today?

2. What improvements have I made?

3. What did I contribute today?

4. What did I enjoy?

5. What actions have I taken towards achieving my Ultimate Goal?

Recharge

Sat. 19 and Sun. 20 June, 2010

1 Learn. Not the relaxing weekend I had planned. I thought I could get the chance to get some work done over the two days I had off. That wasn't the case. People to visit, things to do, games to watch. Obligations getting in the way of progress. What did I learn from this experience? Speeding is bad. We stayed in Alex a bit too long on Sunday so I tried to make up that time by speeding back to Queenstown. 30 kms down the road, in the wet and all of a sudden the red and blue lights start to flash and the patrol car turns and chases. 27kph over the 100 kph speed limit equals a $230 fine and 35 demerit points. The gain for my speeding? About a minute in total travel time which got eaten immediately when I got pulled up. The potential cost? Losing my family in a horrific car crash. I learnt my lesson and realise nothing is worth that price. NOTHING.

2 Improve. The reason I sped was to get to basketball training on time. It was going to be one of our last trainings before we go away to tournament. I made it there late and was in no mood to play. I warmed up on my own and my angry state wasn't at all productive. I started dunking resulting in the breakage of the the hoop I was warming up on. When I eventually started to play I was still feeling sour. The whole time we played I played hard and fast. The peak of my strength was reached when I received a great pass while cutting down the paint. Instead of doing what I normally do and softly putting the ball in the air for an easy basket, I decided to leap between two defenders, throw the ball down with authority and attempt to rip the rim off the backboard stamping my name on that bucket. A few plays later I made another aggressive move by trying to go through my defender on a driving dunk attempt. Unfortunately I didn't quite hit him hard enough and my hand fell just short of grabbing the ring again. My anger drove the improvement in my aggression.

3 Contribute. One of my good mates has a baby boy who is 3 weeks younger than my daughter. His birthday party was on Saturday afternoon so we got him a wee Tonka truck for his birthday present. It was a fun occasion with a lot of other babies there and catching up with my mates family who I haven't seen in years was a bonus for me.

4 Enjoy. The All Blacks played their first real test of the season on Saturday night vs Wales. The 66-28 drubbing of the Irish national team a week earlier didn't count because of the red card that was dealt to Jamie Heaslip in the 14th minute for twice using his knee on an All Black players head. The Welsh put up a tough and even contest in the first half, but Dan Carter showed his brilliance in the 2nd and led the team to a dominant 42-9 victory. It was also the last test match to be held at Carisbrook, Dunedin's aging football ground. Starting the farewell with the stirring Kapa-O-Pango haka and finishing it all off with an historic win, the old House Of Pain will always be remembered. Also, the aforementioned slam dunk put a smile on my face for a moment.

5 Action. I'd be lying if I said I took deliberate action over the weekend towards my personal development. I planned to do some work but the spare time I did get was filled with distraction and procrastination. I could reach for an answer and say I took the action of watching a sport that I love to improve the happiness in my life...
0 comments

Sharing is caring. Share this article now!

0 comments:

Post a Comment